Monday 5 February 2018

Daily Mail Recreation Evaluation

MY RECREATION

1) What was the task you were given and who was your target audience?
We were given the task to recreate a Daily Mail front cover for a C1,D,E audience

 2) What research did you undertake and what did you find were some of the typical conventions of a Daily Mail front cover - layout, types of stories, fonts
I researched previous Daily Mail front covers and found one that I followed the layout of in order to get mine as realistic as possible. I noticed in all the front covers that they have a large advert at the top of the page that related to a competition inside the paper to intrigue readers. Each page has a headline that didn't link to the picture that was on the front page and there was multiple stories within the page. Also the headline font was big and bold and filled the page.

3) Which Daily Mail cover did you use as your main source? Insert. What are your observations from this source?
My observations are that the '£10,000 premium bonds' advert is very large and eye-catching due to the colours used. Also the headline only relates to the small written section on the lower left of the cover.
4) Which areas did you find most challenging? 
Finding the right font which complemented the cover and looked realistic was very hard as it is imperative to get it right. Also I found it challenging to line up all of the individual parts of the cover so they were symmetrical and have equal proportion.

 5) What was you initial feedback? What did others say about your production? How successful was do you think it is?
My initial teacher feedback was that on the 'Cheryl' part of the cover, the writing seeped  over the edge so I changed that in order for it to look correct. I was told that the font I had finally chosen was close to the original and that it looked quite realistic.

 6) Identify what went well and with hindsight what you do to improve/do differently.
I think the small articles at the bottom of the screen went well and the article I had written was interesting and inviting. Also once I had gotten the correct font I felt that it brought the whole piece together. I feel as though the advert could be improved as the colour is slightly brighter than the original and some of the wording needs to be a bit bolder.

 7) In the exam you will be analysing newspaper front covers. In producing this cover, are there any areas that you hadn't noticed before? What have you learnt from completing this task?
I noticed that in the majority of the articles, the headline filled the page and that the picture that is included in the article is not what the headline is stating, in most cases. Also, I found out that the cover used multiple different fonts to ensure their newspaper is different to all the other ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment